Monday 8 December 2008

Working from home a lifestyle choice

Kylie McIntosh

While the reason for many people working from home is to engineer a work/life balance, sometimes it’s just a lifestyle choice. Sunshine Coast author Angela Bueti has worked from home for over 12 years now and says she couldn’t imagine working in a regular office environment.

“I’ve always worked in a non-traditional way; even before I had children. I love the flexibility it allows. I didn’t start working at home for the children but I can see the benefits.

“Some people say they couldn’t do it because they couldn’t separate work from home duties. But I don’t have a problem with this. I find it easy to leave the housework and concentrate on my work.

“I’m good at staying in my office and being productive,” Angela said.

Angela has run two successful workplace training businesses from her home and has recently started freelance writing for a magazine on the Sunshine Coast where she is based.

Last year Angela and her mother co-wrote a book which they subsequently marketed and distributed themselves. The story reveals the trials and tribulations of her mother’s ‘grey nomad’ adventures travelling and working around Australia in her caravan over the past 14 years, http://www.reddirtdiaries.net/

Angela said it was a difficult thing to do from her home.
“Mum and I were in different parts of Australia and it was quite tricky to align our schedules. It took us two years to write but it was worth it,” Angela said.

“I don’t think I could ever handle being an employee. I see people working in offices and they are constrained by their workplaces. I couldn’t do it even if someone paid me.”

Angela says she initially struggled with working from home because she didn’t have anyone to work with but this changed when she met her business partner.

“Clients aren’t like colleagues and in the beginning I missed the adult company and had a bit of separation anxiety. But the positive benefits far outweigh the negatives,” Angela said.

No comments:

Post a Comment