Thursday 22 January 2009

Mystery Shopping isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

By Kylie McIntosh

One of the many positions you’ll see advertised along the way if you are looking to work from home is mystery shopping. Now before you get excited thinking you can go and shop till you drop and get paid for it, hang on. There are a few things I’d like to tell you about it. Unfortunately it’s not as fantastic as it initially appears.

A few years back I answered an ad to work as a mystery shopper. Imagine my surprise when they told me that I had to go into Bunnings – with my own money – and purchase something under $10. While this sounds easy enough the actual logistics surrounding the event was incredible.

I did as instructed. I visited said shop and purchased whatever it was – a paint brush I think. I was expected to remember all the names of the staff that did and didn’t smile at me along the way. Then I had to answer several additional questions the company required about staff responses. By the time I drove to the shop, bought the product, sussed out the staff and drove home and wrote up my report it was around an hour later.

Needless to say when I received my hourly fee of $15 plus the reimbursement for the money I’d spent, I realised mystery shopping wasn’t the fab job I thought it would be.

It is fun. Don’t get me wrong. But you’d need to complete several assignments a week to make it financially worthwhile. The other thing was that I lived in a very small town and after about three visits to Bunnings the staff realised I was their mystery shopper…

For those of you who are still interested this site provides a comprehensive list of Australian mystery shopping sites http://www.worldwideworkathome.com/australia/mysteryshopping.html

No comments:

Post a Comment